*Captain James Caudy
born 1694/1700 Calvert, Prince George County, Maryland
died 1 or 9 March 1783/84 Hampshire County, Virginia (now West Virginia)
(end of information)...
*Mary (Elizabeth) McPherson (Hutchison)
born about 1709 <Prince George County, Maryland>
died before 1760 Capon Valley, Hampshire County, Virginia (now West Virginia)
married 21 January 1730 Frederick County (or Orange County then?), Virginia (now Hampshire County, West Virginia)
(end of information)..
born 1733 Capon Valley, Frederick County, Virginia (now Hampshire County, West Virginia)
died 1783 Capon Valley, Hampshire County, Virginia (now West Virginia)
buried Hampshire County, Virginia (now West Virginia)
Ann Caudy born about 1735 <Virginia>
James Caudy born 1735/40 Forks Of Capon, Frederick County, Virginia (now Hampshire County, West Virginia)
Margaret Caudy born about 1737 <Virginia>
Sarah Caudy born 1739 Capon Valley, Frederick County, Virginia (now Hampshire County, West Virginia)
died 30 September 1807 Frederick County, Virginia
Mary Caudy born 1739 Frederick County, Virginia (now Hampshire County, West Virginia)
biographical and/or anecdotal:
By 1761, James Caudy, the well-known Indian fighter of Capon Bridge had married the widow of James McCoy. Caudy expected to inherit the 369 acres that had been granted to McCoy, by virtue of his marriage to widow McCoy. However, John Capper claimed that he had purchased the land from McCoy prior to McCoy's death, Capper, however, could not prove ownership because he had neither a deed nor a legal transfer. This dispute created a feud between Caudy and Capper, which continued for several years. Finally, Lord Fairfax decided to settle the dispute and he called both Capper and Caudy into his office on the Saturday of November 1762.
After hearing both sides of the case, Fairfax was sympathetic to all parties involved: to Capper for paying for land that he didn't get; to Mrs. Caudy (previously the widow McCoy), in deference to her late husband; and to Caudy. A new survey was presented on Nov. 26, 1762 and referring to this document, Fairfax granted Caudy 165 acres and Capper was granted 204 acres of McCoy's orginal 369 areas. Caudy later deeded land to Michael Capper, son of John Capper, and Michael lost the land because of delinquent taxes.
From Wilmer L. Kerns' book "Settlement and Some First Families in Back Creek Valley" page 404.
Benjamin Burke assigns Barnaby Lynch (a servant from Ireland in the Brig Rebecca) to James Coddy of Fredericks Co,VA yeoman for four years from Sep 20, 1746. Consideration 15 pounds: customary dues.
Barnaby Lynch is listed as one of the early settlers of
Hampshire Co.,WVA, along with James Caudy and others.
Conley in his "West Virginia Encyclopedia", 1929 states that Hampshire County, West Virginia was practically depopulated in the period 1755-58 due to the Indians.
January 1744, the Frederick County Court ordered a road laid out from the Great Cape Capon River to Hampton's Mill. The fall before Noah Hampton and *Captain James Coddy had petitioned the court for their road, Hampton had probably had his mill in the area for a few years before the Frederick Courts started.
The Court Order designated Jonathan Coburn, Isaac Thomas, Peter Kuykendall and James Delheryea, to view, mark and lay off the road petitioned for by Hampton and others. The road would also serve Coddy's Fort of Coddy's Castle, as it was sometimes known, a natural rock that projected out over a stream.
Frederick County, 2:208, 5 March 1746
On the petition of James Coddy, Thomas Smith, John Parks, William Naylor, Josiah Arnold, George Potts, Darby McKeaver, Samuel Farrington, George Hoge, Peter Foster, and Walter D[illegible] for a road from Park's graveyard near Cape Capon water, over Dillon's Run, into the Wagon Road on Joseph Edwards's land, it is ordered that the said road be cleared by the siad petitioners and that they work on the same under James Coddy, who is hereby appointed surveyor thereof. And it is further ordered that the said James Coddy cause the said road to be kept in good repair and make bridges thereon where required according to law.
At that time Orange County encompassed ares later to be called Frederick and Augusta Counties.
Morgan Bryan and Alexander Ross had obtained a Virginia grant on 28 October 1730 for 100,000 acres on the waters of the Opequon Crek, in the general vicinity of Winchester, Virginia, and introduced some 70 families into the area, short of the 100 families contracted for at the rate of one family per 1000 acres. Morgan Bryan and Ross were Quakers from the New Garden Quaker community in Chester County, Pennsylvania and by 1743 Morgan Bryan had moved on to the Yadkin River in Rowan County, North Carolina.
Another group of 64 families came into the area about the same time under the sponsorship of one Benjamin Borden, a Quaker turned Baptist from Freehold, New Jersey, and on the same terms of one family per 1000 acres.
notes or source:
Coddy, James 1600-1699 United States CD170 Immigrants to the New World, 1600s-1800s (#170)